Sunday, February 21, 2016

Thoughts About Comments

I think the hardest thing about giving a good comment is the fact that you have to be critical of someone else's work. I do not see myself as a very good writer, so telling someone else to change certain aspects or pointing out flaws feels like it is borderline rude. I am a usually good at finding mistakes in grammar or spelling, but I make mistakes just like everyone else.

Some of the most helpful comments I have received so far are about formatting changes. My week 3 story was originally in a large block and I had my picture at the end of the story. A few people pointed out that I should break the story up into smaller paragraphs and change the location of the picture. After making these small changes I could see that the story looked much better and I even got a comment that said the changes were good.

Another helpful comment that can be given is about what the readers feel should be expanded upon in your story. I think it is nice to get a range of imaginative ideas coming in so that I can create a plot that I may not have thought of otherwise.

I try to give mostly positive feedback followed by a critique so that the sting is less severe. Like I said before, it is hard for me to be critical because I do not see myself as a good writer. That being said, I believe criticism is crucial to the writing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment