Monday, February 29, 2016

Week 7 Reading Diary: Epified Mahabharata

For this week's reading, I chose the Epified Mahabharata written by Vijayendra Mohanty. This was an amazing version of the Mahabharata that made it much easier for me to understand. I was captivated the whole time I was watching! My favorite moments from this portion of the video series are listed below:

I really enjoyed the episode: Drona Trains the Pandavas. This episode caught my attention because it showed the preparation for the war that was to take place later on. I liked how Drona quickly found out what each of the Pandava brothers were most likely to excel in and then crafted their training to make them experts. I especially liked that Drona chose Arjuna and Ashwatthama to wield the celestial weapons.

Another favorite moment was the episode: Ekalavya's Story. It was incredible to see that Ekalavya had gained such skill as an archer by just practicing in front of a figure of Drona. Ekalavya was so skilled that he was the superior of Arjuna, who is supposed to be the greatest archer that ever lived. I was mortified by the devotion that Ekalavya showed to Drona when he cut off his own thumb when Drona asked him to. If he did not cut his thumb off, there could have been a whole new hero in the Mahabharata. This story will most likely be my inspiration for this week's storytelling.

Image source: Ekalavya cuts off his thumb and presents it to Drona

No comments:

Post a Comment