Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary: PDE Ramayana

Here is a list of some of my favorite moments from this week's reading of the PDE Ramayana:

I really liked the story where all the monkeys in Sugriva started talking about how far they could jump. Then there was a short background of Hanuman where he once jumped 3,000 leagues when he was a child in order to get to the sun, which he thought was a fruit. Indra (one of my possible storybook topics) was said to have cast Hanuman down and then proceed to through a major fit. Indra is eventually calmed down and gives Hanuman the ability to choose his own death. I would like to expand on why Indra got so angry at Hanuman for trying to steal the sun and what his tantrum caused on the Earth. 

Image source: Hanuman atempting to take the sun 


I also really liked the part where Hanuman goes on a rampage in Lanka. It would have been quite a sight to see a mountain sized monkey with its tail on fire just trampling and burning everything in sight. This reminded me of the cartoon Dragon Ball Z (I was obsessed with this show as a kid) where there is an alien race that would transform into giant apes at the sight of a full moon. I think it would be interesting to tell the story of the giant Hanuman through the eyes of Ravana as he watches his kingdom being burned and trampled to the ground. 

Both of these stories were taken from Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914)



No comments:

Post a Comment