Sunday, April 17, 2016

Growth Mindset: Multiple Intelligences

I have encountered the concept of multiple intelligences before, but it was refreshing to see it explained through a comic. After watching the short video about Multiple Intelligences by Marek Bennett, I learned that Howard Gardner and other researchers pioneered this concept. They concluded that there are 8 different intelligences, which include: linguistic, logical-mathematical, visual-spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, and naturalistic.

Multiple Intelligences by Marek Bennett

I have often heard that people learn in different ways and I always thought that I am more of a kinesthetic learner, meaning that I like to be hands-on. My favorite part of the video was the quote "While the linguistic and mathematical intelligences are important in their own right, they function most strongly in combination with other intelligences." I feel like a premium is placed on these two intelligences in the academic setting, especially in my chosen field of study, and this decreases the proficiency in the other intelligences. This video was a great reminder that we should focus on expanding and using all intelligences and not let certain ones dominate our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment