Sunday, April 24, 2016

Week 13 Growth Mindset: Harnessing Stress

This week I took a look at the article: How Harnessing the Positive Side of Stress Can Change Student Mindsets by Katrina Schwartz and also the TED talks video: How to Make Stress Your Friend by Kelly McGonigal.

The subject of stress and how I deal with it is very interesting to me. I find that I can become paralyzed by large amounts of stress, which negatively affects my academic performance. I have always been led to believe that stress is damaging to our health, but after reading this article and watching the video I came to realize that stress can be used as a tool to rise to a challenge.

It is believed that just changing your mindset about stress can help you to live a longer, more fulfilling life. People that view stress as bad for their health showed a much higher risk of dying than people that viewed health as a tool.

I have dealt with various levels of stress throughout my time in the Army and through sports, but the times that I overcame the negative effects of it were when I felt confident in my abilities to address the situation. I was able to harness the rush of adrenaline and make clear headed choices and actions. The countless hours of preparation gave me confidence.

For some reason, harnessing stress in the world of academia is not as easy for me. I know I spend a lot of time studying, but every now and then I freeze up due to anxiety. This article and video gave me some great advice on how to think about my responses to stress when I feel the negative effects consuming me.

By changing my mindset about stress, I believe that I can more effectively deal with my anxiety and perform at my best, even in the most stressful situation. I highly recommend reading this article and watching the video. Below I have embedded the video. Check it out!


How to Make Stress Your Friend by Kelly McGonigal

No comments:

Post a Comment