Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary: Tales of Ancient India

This week I chose to read Tales of Ancient India by Edmund Charles Cox. The first half of this reading focused on the life of Krishna.

One of my favorite stories was How Krishna Stole the Milk and Slew the Demons. I thought it was strange that Krishna would lie about stealing the milk and play tricks on the towns people to make them not suspect him. I was under the impression that as an avatar of Vishnu, Krishna would be more noble. Also, I liked the description of the bird demon Trinawart. Krishna seemed to be having a blast riding Trinawart, but he eventually killed the demon when he saw the destruction he was causing to the town.

Another of my favorites was How Indra Worshiped Krishna. This story had some great content that I could use for my storybook. Indra was angered by all the offerings going to Krishna and none to his alter, so he summoned some rain clouds to drown a city. Krishna stepped in and raised a mountain shield the city from the rain. Since Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu, this will work nicely as a part of the final battle in my storybook.

Source: Krishna holding up the mountain Govardhan

The final story that caught my eye was How Krishna Slew Kansa. The reason I liked this story so much was because of the elephant Kubaliya, who was had the strength of 1000 elephants. I think a good story could come from a battle with Kubaliya.



No comments:

Post a Comment