Thursday, April 21, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary: The Mahabharata by Peter Brooks

This week I chose to watch The Mahabharata by Peter Brooks. I began watching this film at the start of the war. The links to this film are not accurate, but I kept thinking it may have just been a change up from the original story. I turned out to be wrong, so I watched the second half instead of the first half. Either way, I am pretty familiar with the Mahabharata from the previous readings.

My favorite part of the Mahabharata actually happens to be the war, so this was a welcome surprise. I was thinking the whole time about a story that would involve the loss of someone close and the effects that it would have on someone. Arjuna turns is infuriated and the loss of his son motivates him to carry on with the war, but Drona is just told that his son has died and he is unable to go on with life, let alone the war. Bhima also loses his son in the war and he grieves for a time, but then it just shows him going on like nothing happened. I suppose people grieve in different ways.

I also really like the character Ghatotkacha, who was Bhima's half-rakshasa son. Ghatotkacha has many powers and that make him a huge threat to Karna and his side of the war. Ghatotkacha would have won the war if Karna hadn't been forced to use his invincible dart that was given to him by Indra. I think I would like to write a whole story just about him.

Ghatotkacha
Source: Ghatotkacha being killed by Karna

2 comments:

  1. Hi Will! Quick question: I just click through all the links on this page: Mahabharata, and I could not find the wrong links. Could you let me know where there was a link that led you to the other video...? I'd like to fix it if you can let me know.

    And isn't Ghatotkacha fabulous? There is a comic book about him in the Library too if you are interested, and it has some other adventures he is involved in that are not part of the traditional Mahabharata but which are from other legends about him:
    Ghatotkacha: The Chivalrous Demon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. When I first started watching, I just clicked on the video under Part 1. That turned out to be the second half of the film. I just went back and it looks like you have fixed it.

      And yes! Ghatotkacha is pretty dang cool. Thank you for the link to The Chivalrous Demon.

      Delete