Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary Continued: Tales of Ancient India

This my take on the second half of my reading of Tales of Ancient India by Edmund Charles Cox.

My favorite stories from this half of the reading include Indra, Soma, and Vishnu.  This should be no surprise to those that have visited my storybook because these are the main characters.

In the story about Indra, it was interesting to see the character Ahi, who was jealous of the praise for Indra, trying to rise up and challenge Indra. Ahi had stolen the Indra's rain and caused a drought, but Indra eventually killed him and returned the life-giving rains to his worshipers.

I never knew that Soma was also a god. I always thought is was just a drink that gave immortality and strength, but this story captures him as a god that steals Vrihaspati's wife, Tara. Brahma forces Soma to return Vrihaspati's wife and then Soma's dominion on Earth was taken away from him for his wrong-doing. I think a good story could use the aspects of how Soma became a curse to men and forced them into madness.

The story of Vishnu was very interesting to me. I like the last portion of it where Bhrigu went to Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu to see which one was the greatest of them. Both Brahma and Shiva were pissed that he would dare ask such a question, but they spared his life. When Bhrigu went to Vishnu, he found him sleeping. Bhrigu tapped Vishnu on the chest and Vishnu was embarrassed at his negligence and apologized profusely. This was all Bhrigu needed to here to make him see Vishnu was the greatest of the three. I will most likely do a retelling of this story for my storytelling post.

File:Maharishi Bhrighuji.jpg
Source: Bhrigu talking to Vishnu

No comments:

Post a Comment