Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Week 12 Reading Diary: Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

This week I started watching Nina Paley's film, Sita Sings the Blues. This was an animated film that focuses on the Ramayana.

I really enjoyed the narrators arguing and trying to remember certain stories about the Ramayana. It sounded like each of them had been told these stories while they were growing up, but they could not remember all of the details about them.

It has been a little while since I have read the Ramayana, so this was a good refresher for me. The best part of the film for me so far was the retelling of how Hanuman went to Lanka to find Sita. I learned that Hanuman was actually a reincarnation of Shiva, sent to help the reincarnation of Vishnu, Rama. The story didn't mention the part where Hanuman burnt the city of Lanka with his burning tail, but it did show Hanuman doing so in the animation.

Source: Hanuman burning down the city of Lanka 

At this time I do not know why the film keeps cutting back to the couple with the cat. The guy moves away to India for a contract job and the girl leaves their apartment to go live with him. He acts very cold towards her when she arrives. I'm not sure how this is going to tie into the Ramayana, but I guess I will figure that out in the second half of the film.

There were plenty of gory scenes where Rama decapitated and dismembered the rakshasas. Rama shot arrows at two rows of rakshasas during one of the songs Sita was singing, which caused fountains of blood to cascade around them.

I really like the humor that is going on throughout the film so far. The dramatic music playing with Ravana's mouth gaping after Sita says she will never be his wife and Rama was going to come and kill him.


No comments:

Post a Comment